Friday, June 3, 2011

tribute to a retired teacher at Hellgate

During the past 36 years, Wayne Seitz Hellgate senior journalists assigned their school student about the importance of the initiative, rigor and a nose for news in their work in the school newspaper, Lance. On Thursday, the latest crop of students gave the powers back to him in bold.

In one of the last class, each time the retired teacher of 66 years, is aimed at students gave new copies of the press-a tribute to 12 pages in tabloid format, its pages filled with photos and memorabilia collected and written by officials Lance recent and less recent.

"So what we have done," he laughed as Hailey Seitz Michelson, chief editor Lance today, gave him a copy of the publication, which was created in secret by the team of Lance and printed by the Missoulian the student.

Set in a tabloid publication has shown a commendable Seitz alum Lance notable hymns, including Missoula Mayor John Engen, who was editor of Lance during the school year 1982-83.

"I can take lessons from me as the new Seitz respect for accuracy and fairness, clarity and say what you mean," wrote Engen. "It's easy to forget that I had to learn what has become second nature."

Although Michelson is still a high school student - until Saturday, anyway - Seitz said his own memories and lessons of Lance on the team will not go away soon.

"This is my house in the Hellgate, and I feel that many people think that this class, told his colleagues agree." You were like a father to me. "

Seitz, who admitted he had "no idea" that students were whipping surprise, took the opportunity to reflect, if only for a moment about the lessons he has learned over the years - one of which might explain how students managed to create a special publication.

"I said, pointing to a poster hanging in his office." If the student is not better than the teacher, the teacher has failed. "... I realized the medium term, most students took me way, document has improved. You can be free to do what he does best, and I'm glad I discovered. "

The idea of ​​the special issue was planned earlier this year between Michelson and former student of Erin Hellgate McEwen, McEwen, after learning of the impending retirement Seitz.

"He always said that none of the parties, but we had to do something," said McEwen, who after years of Lance team later studied music at the University of Montana.

Krista Johnston, a senior member of the team of Lance, "said Seitz served as a kind of model for her as she looks to life after high school.

"I think if I was older, I'd love - not great, crap, take no prisoners," he said. "I learned a lot from him."

"It's an epic look back in time, because he has crossed so many memories was interesting," said junior Hannah Reagan. "There is someone so amazing to go to class and after hearing their stories."

After a few tears flowed, Seitz said the students appreciated the efforts and actions of publication but is always waiting for their retirement life and a new haircut.

"I will grow it smooth," he said, "and buy a big box of crayons. I am willing to work with some color after all these years of working with words."