Thursday, August 18, 2011

The tragic die Amy Winehouse overcome young addict

Some are alcoholics, some are drug addicts and some depend on both.  Connecting them is a deep desire to overcome his demons and the progress of a clean life, with the help of a dedicated project recovery basement in Halifax.  Today the father of Amy Winehouse tragic, Mitch, the Ministry of Interior lobby for greater investment in the rehabilitation of young people.  Only residential juvenile unit of Britain closed last year due to lack of funds.  In Halifax, a carefully crafted program of recovery comes with a limited budget for old users who know the young people as obstacles in front of Amy. In the last few years have seen an increase in the number of girls attending.  We found some in Halifax and another specialized unit in Derby.  Among them is Claire Binns, 29, who seems out of place alongside other participants in the basement of the project, whose years of substance abuse on their faces says. Claire's story bears a striking resemblance to Amy - except for one crucial factor.  While Amy died at 27, Claire's life began to change for the better at the same age.  After becoming an alcoholic at 14 and move to hard drugs, Claire realizes that could have followed the same path. 
I don’t ever wanna drink again… I just ooh i just need a friend, They tried to make me go to rehab but i said ‘no, no, no’  Amy Whinehouse

Claire says: "I always believed I would be dead by 33 if I continued the way I was.
"Various attempts at treatment failed. I found the NHS services too clinical and out of touch. Whenever I ended up in hospital I was treated like a binge drinker and discharged as soon as possible when clearly there was something more serious going on.
"Now things have changed so drastically I can hardly believe it.
"Thanks to the Basement Project I haven't taken drink or drugs for 15 months.
"I'm gutted about what happened to Amy but if her dad can improve services for young addicts in her memory, hopefully some good will come of it." 

Claire's life began spiraling out of control when he started drinking 14 years.

From two gallons of cider a day moved to one-liter bottles of vodka and eventually drugs such as cocaine, LSD and ecstasy.
Claire says: "From 14 I was drinking heavily. I'd meet friends and knock back two bottles of cheap cider.
"Naturally my education suffered because I was so badly behaved. I started using LSD, ecstasy and inhaling gas from pressurised canisters. Later I drank spirits like vodka when I could afford them." 

Between the ages of 18 and 24 who were 35 cases of drunkenness and disorder in their criminal record.

Claire's biggest regret is turning to violence to his terminally ill mother, who died when her daughter was 25 years with problems.
She says: "Mum had lung cancer and I looked after her as it progressed.
"She paid me £50 a week for helping with her care and I'd spend every penny on drink. 

"One day after boozing I smacked her on the face and pushed her over. There is no excuse. When sober I'm a really nice person but alcohol made me evil.
Quantcast
"What hurts most is that Mum will never see me clean. She will never see what I've made of myself."
Claire eventually hit rock bottom when a cocktail of drugs and alcohol landed her in intensive care. She remembers being deeply affected by a visit from her grandmother.
Claire says: "I had sunk so low I went on a binge. After lots of drink and drugs I swallowed several anti-depressants.
"I have a vague memory of being violently ill then waking up in hospital.
"During a visit from my granny I remember her talking to me, which made me feel really different. I knew I had to change.
"I'd end up dead if I didn't." 

Claire says: "I honestly didn't think this would work. I'd tried giving up alcohol before and didn't get anywhere. The Basement Project is run like a big family and the staff are former addicts so they know what you're going through. They told me the truth of the situation - if I kept drinking I would die.
"During recovery I couldn't imagine life without another drink.
"But I've been dry for 15 months and I can imagine the next 40 years without a drop."

In September Claire begins a degree course in Criminology at the University of Huddersfield. She is now a Basement Project community recovery champion, lending a hand to promote the scheme to other young men and women who badly need its services. 

Claire says: "I feel extremely lucky.
"I know there are a lot of young people struggling and they don't have a Basement in their town. Hopefully Mitch Winehouse's campaign will change that.
"Meanwhile I'd advise them to investigate all the drug treatment facilities in their area.
"Put in that bit of extra effort to get clean - it isn't easy. And don't give up.
"There is a much better life waiting around the corner."